Hello! I’m Jacopo, a developer on Team Lannister, and I have been working on bringing the HTML Toolbar to Calypso.
WHAT IS IT?
The HTML Toolbar is a set of tools that add things like bold, italic, blockquote, image, code and more to your posts while in HTML editing mode. A few of the latest updates include, but are not limited to:
- Clicking on a tag button will alternate between “open” and “close” tags.
- The “Close Tags” button will close all open tags.
- If clicked while selecting an URL in the post content, the “Link” button will smartly recognize it as the URL for the link (
- The toolbar is a single-line scrollable element.
- The toolbar sticks to the top of the page when scrolling.
- The Insert Media / Contact Form button.
- Undo/redo ability.
- Drag and drop media.
Some of the current limitations are:
- The toolbar is only sticky on large enough screens.
- Cursor position is not synced when switching between modes.
- Must scroll to the top in order to switch modes.
- The toolbar only recognizes tags inserted via the toolbar itself. An open tag manually written or pasted in the post content won’t be affected by the “Close Tags” button, and it won’t be closed by clicking on that tag button.
- Buttons available in WP Admin’s HTML Toolbar not yet included: Proofread, Add Poll, Add Location, Add Embed.
WHAT TO TEST?
Try the following activities:
- Go to Horizon, start editing a post and switch to HTML mode.
- Try opening and closing tags via the toolbar.
- Check for cross-browser and cross-OS issues.
- Try to undo/redo as you normally would in your usual workflow. Does it work as expected?
- Drag and drop the types of files you’re used to working with.
- Try inserting media and contact forms.
WHAT TO REPORT?
We’d like to know:
- Do the actions feel right to you?
- Does undo/redo work as expected?
- Any issues with inserting media?
Please add any feedback as a comment on this thread.
We are planning to test this feature until Monday, March 13, 2017.